Sunday, January 24, 2010

Broga Jantan reloaded


Faizal approaching the top at Bkt Hantu



The rest of the group soon came...

Tubulars on steroids....continental Grand Prix 4000

Bkt Tangga top...hot but windy...

Bacin..


The last climb...Genting Peres...


Looking at the FB events, broga sounds nice. It's even nicer if there's lots of cyclist around.
Arrived at Bt 14, and along I brought the argon 18 TT bike. And it's the first time I am doing the hilly broga with it.
For flats, TT bikes rules. Not quite for hills.

I've just upgraded the usual Hutchinsons to Continental Grand Prix 4000 (tubulars) at Joo Ngan's. So I was able to try it out in this ride.

For the first climb we hit Bkt Hantu. I was quite in front just before the ascent, so I slowed down to let the other guys come by.
Then, as we enter the hills, I went solo just to see who would come. To my surprise, it was the one legged man, or the bionic man as we called him.
But I know he won't last. After awhile I looked back and saw Faizal doing a solo pursuit.
Anyway, all this was just for fun and testing the legs. In no way Bkt Hantu is easy. You just sit there and pedal. Some parts you have to stand and climb.

We briefly regrouped at the top, and then sped off to Semenyih. Now here's where the Conti tyres really shine. I went fast with not much effort, at all.
The tyres were rigid, responsive, light. Another thing it's smaller than my previous Hutchinsons making rolling easier. The road however was pretty bad condition.
I joked to Faizal, that I wanted to join politics and become the `wakil rakyat` of this area, so I could get the road fixed for cyclist.

After Semenyih and turning into broga, the head wind was atrocious. I couldn't go aero all the time. At one point the wind pushed the bike an inch to my right.
Falling now will be bad news for IM 2010.

After stopping for breakfast at Ulu Beranang, we attacked another 2 minor climbs, and then the mother of it all, Bkt Tangga, which is a 4-5km gradual climb from the base.
Actually it's not that hard, only that the climb is long. Then, it was downhill all the way. I didn't go fast, and applied some brakes just to slow down.
Breaking is actually harder on carbon wheelsets.

After Klawang stop, it was TT mode back again. Managed to chased down Roger, Prakesh, with Faizal at the back. Then it was the usual hell climb up Peres.

After descending Peres, I was rolling at 40km/h back to bt 18, which is kinda surprising because I wasn't even pushing it. It must be the tyres.

Opted to stop to have ABC at 18 before heading back 14.

It was hot, but great thing was I had every inch covered, so it wasn't that bad.

Distance: 140.79km
Ave: 27.4km/h

No comments: